First Aid at Work
Cost is £140 per individual or £1440 per group of 12.
The First Aid at Work programme meets the requirements of the Health and Safety Executive for first aiders working in medium and high risk environments.
The qualification will equip the first aider with skills to be able to confidently undertake emergency first aid if someone becomes ill or injured at work and provide effective care for a wide range of common workplace injuries and illnesses. First Aid at Work training consists of 18 hours of instructor led tuition, delivered over a minimum of 3 days, with emphasis throughout on practical application of first aid skills.
Full information on the different levels and requirements for First Aid in the Workplace can be found on the HSE website here. The course is delivered in accordance with the Approved Code of Practice L74 for qualifying First Aid personnel in the workplace.
Candidates will receive training in a wide range of first aid skills including:
- The ability to act safely and effectively when an accident or emergency occurs
- The treatment and priorities of care for an unconscious patient
- The recognition of cardiac arrest and delivery of cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- The ability to safely and promptly treat a patient who is bleeding
- The ability to recognise and treat a patient in shock
- The keeping of simple records following an accident at work
- Students will also learn to provide care for patients who have:
- suffered a burn or scald
- injured bones, muscles or joints
- been poisoned by ingestion or inhalation of a substance or gas
- suffered an injury to the eye
- signs & symptoms of a major illness e.g. heart attack
Assessment – This course has a formal assessment process which includes a written assessment of the learners first aid knowledge as well as practical assessment of the learners ability to perform safely and effectively in a range of first aid situations.
By choosing a WorkSafe training programme you or your students will receive:
- A comprehensive student resource pack for each delegate containing a market leading first aid reference manual for use during the class and as post course reference
- Professional training delivered by quality assured instructors and a maximum class size of 12 per instructor
- Active learning strategies with opportunity for practice in small, relaxed groups monitored by the instructor
- Fully interactive presentation materials that use a graphical approach to learning
- The opportunity to complete a course evaluation and register online with the WorkSafe website to access special offers and first aid related updates
Successful candidates will be awarded a qualification in First Aid at Work , valid for 3 years and certificated by WorkSafe Training Systems.
Please Note: The HSE recommend that all workplace first aiders receive annual refresher training in first aid techniques whilst holding this qualification.
Due to the nature of the providing workplace first aid at this level the selection of suitable workplace first aid candidates will depend upon a number of factors. These include:
- Reliability, disposition and communication skills
- Aptitude & ability to absorb new knowledge & learn new skills
- Ability to deal with an emergency situations in a calm and controlled manner
- Normal duties: These should be such that the first aider may be able to leave their normal duties immediately to provide emergency care to an ill or injured worker
Course Duration: 3 Days (minimum 18 contact hours). Dates do not have to be consecutive.